Close this project

A font in twenty weeks. I started experimenting with different kind of materials and techniques. The outcome of all the experiments is typeface Avation.

TEXT

In this (school)project I had to create a font in twenty weeks. In these weeks there were a lot of phases: experiment, design, digitalize and finally make the design come to live as a font. It all started with paper and pencil. Figuring out what kind of font I wanted to make, I decided to make a font that could be used as titles and as big text on posters.

TEXT

As said I used a lot of techniques and materials. The first images below are a few of all the experiments. As you go further you can see the proces being made towards the end result. After a while I was satisfied with my sketches and I tried to digitalize them. A lot of trail and error leaded to a full alphabet in Illustrator. Then I hopped on Glyphs to really make a font out of it. After the font was ready I showcased it in a magazine. This magazine contained all experiments and could be used to see my progress and to see how my font Avation could be used. The font is also being used by the band Mac Taple on their website (which I created).